We’ve finally got Tim to give us his duck jerky recipe!
If you don’t know, Tim Deaver is our shooting and sports buyer and is an avid (and skilled – but don’t tell him that) duck hunter.
We’ve had the pleasure of sampling his duck jerky (prior to Covid-19) and the consensus was a resounding, “this is GREAT!” So, why not share his duck jerky recipe!?
Don’t worry, we got his permission first!
- 4 – 5 lbs. whole duck or goose breast*
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1/8 cup of soy sauce
- 1/8 cup of Mr. Yoshida’s Teriyaki sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup canning salt
- 1/2 – 1 Bag of Apple Chips**
- Mix water, apple juice, soy sauce, Mr. Yoshida’s Teriyaki sauce, brown sugar, and canning salt into a large food grade bucket.
- Tenderize meat***.
- Add the meat to the bucket and cover. Soak in brine for 12 hours.
- DON’T rinse.
- Place the meat on smoke racks and put it in the smoker.
- Add apple chips to the pan and smoke for 8 – 10 hours****.
NOTES ON DUCK JERKY RECIPE
*You can use more meat for the recipe but you don’t want to use less. If you use less than 4 lbs. of meat then shorten the soak time by 50% (6 hours total).
**1/2 bag of chips should give you 3 – 5 pans.
***The LEM Meat Tenderizer works GREAT!
****The duration of smoking will depend on how much meat you are using and how much smoke flavor you’re after.